Thursday, October 8, 2009

Anything wonderful can happen

I love watching my 10-month-old, Liam, wake up. It never ceases to amaze me.

Even when it's me waking him up, he doesn't resist it. He opens his eyes and looks around, interested in life. His older brother has learned to resist waking up, and often cries when he's fallen asleep in the car and it's time to go in the house. When do we learn to resist waking up?

I have a choice, every morning, about how I wake up. With love, or with resistance. All too often -- almost every single morning (and often at night when my three-year-old comes into my room) -- it's with resistance. I want to work on this.

Here's how I want to wake up: With joy. With love. With excitement for the day. Because, as I once read on a sign in front of a church, anything wonderful can happen.

Then again, I'd like to move beyond that idea too. It's not that life can be wonderful -- it is. As one of my spiritual teachers sometimes says, every moment is a holy moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment